Tuesday, December 26, 2006

SnatCD002

This is a band I was in during the late 80s. It took me a little while to realize what a great group I had happened to join. I was also slow to realize that I was in love with the singer (Mary O'Neil); we got married in '91.

'Alcohol is a Cheap Perfume' was the only CD release for the Wannabe Texans, on the Mekon's SNAT label. It's good that I was out of town during the recordings, as Steven Strauss was the better bassist in this group.

Re-uploaded 8/12/07: download at gigasize.com.
If I get around to it, I plan to post some unreleased recordings, also flyers and photos. Just because I think the songs are good and can still give new possibility and enthusiasm to those who hear them.

2 comments:

Steven Strauss said...

The unreleased demos from the handful of sessions you DID play on are each distinctive and truly unique. I hope you'll get to post a little from each. All I've had since then are very cheap cassettes duped on a boom box seventeen, eighteen years ago. (I'm guessing Wally has the masters safe somewhere.)

In addition to the SNAT CD there was one demo session at Greg Freeman's that I played bass on; you were the man on all the other recordings. Unlike you, I sensed immediately what a brilliant thing was being put together in the lower Haight by Mary O'Neil, Wally Sound, Matt Sullivan and the bunch.

You were on bass the first time I heard the band, and I really thought the U.S. finally had their own Pogues. Such vivid imagery, savage wit, unexpected poignancy, and articulate grievance! The atmosphere on stage was like a party in the back of a speeding rented panel truck loaded with sofas stolen from the donation trailer behind the Goodwill.

I hadn't seen so much apparent lapsed Catholicism in one California band before or since, with the possible exception of Little Joe y La Familia. :-)

If Wally hasn't already remastered from those old multi-track tapes, do urge him to get on it! He makes everybody else sound good.

I'm glad to think there'll be a little more Wannabe Texans stuff searchable on the 'net. Thanks for making the space.

J Bradley Johnson said...

Glad to hear from you, Steven. I like your description of the band!

I'm afraid the master tapes were on a brand of tape that self-destructed after a few years, but I've got some things worth posting. Some of those Greg Freeman sessions are real good.